Utah ASCD Constitution
ARTICLE I NAME
The name of this Association shall be Utah ASCD. It shall be an affiliate of ASCD
ARTICLE II MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of Utah ASCD is to unite the community of Utah educators and provide leadership to ensure success for all learners
ARTICLE III PURPOSE
The purpose of Utah ASCD shall be to promote best practice in learning, teaching and leadership.
Utah ASCDE will:
- Support effective implementation of learning standards;
- Promote best professional practices and teaching standards
- Develop leadership among the education community;
- Implement technologies that facilitate statewide collaboration, networking and professional learning;
- Advocate for and promote best legislative policy development
- On a yearly basis through ASCD’s Joint Dues Program or
- Directly to Utah ASCD
- Act as the executive officer and chair of the Board of Directors;
- Promote the purposes of the organization by forming committees and appoint chairs as needed;
- Prepare the annual budget with the assistance of the executive director;
- Preside over the annual conference;
- Promote Affiliate membership;
- Act as liaison between ASCD and Utah ASCD;
- Attend required meetings (L2L, ASCD National Conference) and report on participation to the Board of Directors, and
- Conduct an annual review of the Utah ASCD biennial plan.
- Serve as chair of the Past President’s Council;
- Chair the Nominating Committee;
- Notify Board of Directors of their terms of office;
- With the help of the President and Board of Directors, fill the vacant positions on the Board of Directors;
- Act as chair of the Board of Directors’ meeting in the absence of the President;
- Facilitate the development of position papers when topics are determined by the Board of Directors.
- Select the conference chair for the annual conference and preside over planning activities for the period before the actual conference date;
- Chair the Board of Director’s meeting in the absence of the President and Past President, and
- Attend recommended ASCD Leadership Conferences (L2L, ASCD National Conference).
- Formulate and approve policies of the Association;
- Have power to fill vacancies in office until the next election;
- Establish work groups to ensure fulfillment of the purposes of the Utah ASCD; and
- Be the custodian of the property of the Association.
- Review and revise the constitution as needed for general membership ratification no less frequently than every five years;
- Sponsor projects as needed upon approval of the Board of Directors; and
- Support the Past President in the development of position papers. Members of the Past President’s Council may attend general Board of Directors meetings as ex-officio, non-voting members.
- At least forty-five days prior to balloting, the Past President, acting as chair of the nominating committee, and two appointed Board members, shall submit a ballot containing one or two nominees for President-Elect. Such nominees will be selected from the current membership of Utah ASCD and shall have been a Utah ASCD member for one year prior to the balloting.
- The names of the candidates will be published in the annual Utah ASCD conference information.
- On-site ballots shall be distributed to the membership of Utah ASCD at the annual conference and tallied on-site.
- Write-in candidates may be placed on the ballot provided the candidate has been a member of Utah ASCD for one year prior to the balloting.
- Ballots shall be counted by the nominating committee.
- The nominee receiving the highest number of votes shall be declared President-Elect.
- The President-Elect shall begin his/her term at the time of election. The terms of the President-Elect, President and past President shall run from the election through the following two years.
ARTICLE IV MEMBERSHIP
Membership in Utah ASCD is open to individuals interested in promoting the Association’s purpose upon payment of annual dues.
Members shall be entitled to vote, hold office after one year of membership, participate in discussions and otherwise receive such benefits and materials as may be forthcoming from Utah ASCD
Members of the Association and members of ASCD wishing to join Utah ASCD may elect to pay dues:
ARTICLE V NONDISCRIMINATION
Utah ASCD fully supports a policy of equal opportunity and will not discriminate in membership eligibility on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex. This Association will neither accept invitations from nor participate in any activity or organization that does not support an equal opportunity or nondiscrimination policy.
ARTICLE VI DIVERSE MEMBERSHIP
Utah ASCD shall actively seek members who represent diversity in gender, age, job role, ethnicity, and geographic location.
Elected officers of Utah ASCD shall be a President, a Past President, and a President Elect. In the event of a resignation by the President, the Board of Directors shall appoint a replacement.
The President shall serve a term of two years. The duties of the President shall be to:
The Past President shall serve a term of two years. The duties of the Past President shall be to:
The President-Elect shall serve a term of two years. The duties of the President-Elect shall be to:
The Executive Committee shall consist of three elected officers, specifically, the President, Past President and President-Elect. The Executive Director will serve as a non-voting member of the Executive Committee.
ARTICLE VII REPRESENTATIVES TO ASCD
The President, President-Elect and Executive Director shall attend Leadership Training meetings convened by ASCD.
The Board of Directors shall ensure Utah ASCDE is represented when ASCD convenes the ASCD Forum. The representative of Utah ASCD does not have to be physically present to represent the voice of Utah ASCD in decision made through the ASCD Forum
ARTICLE VIII BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors shall be the governing body for Utah ASCD. It shall take such action as is necessary to achieve the purpose of the Association consistent with provisions of this Constitution. The members present after due and timely notice of meeting to all members of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum for the conducting of business.
Each member of the Board of Directors shall be appointed for a term of four years. The Board of Directors shall:
Every effort should be made to ensure that the up to 25 members of the Board of Directors are a diverse group representative of the Utah Education Community and the constituent groups it serves. Members of the Board should also include any Utah members holding ASCD positions. Each member of the Board of Directors shall be a voting member.
The term of office for members of the Board of Directors shall be four years, with an option to renew for another four years, commencing on June 1 and ending on May 31. Ex-officio members may serve as long as they hold the position from which they are appointed. The immediate Past President shall notify each member of his/her term.
Elected officers of the Board are not considered to be fulfilling a four-year term on the Board of Directors during their service as an officer.
ARTICLE IX PAST PRESIDENT’S COUNCIL
The past President’s Council shall consist of former Utah ASCD Presidents. Their responsibilities are:
ARTICLE X CONSTITUTIONAL AMMENDMENTS
Any member of the Association may propose changes in this Constitution by submitting those changes to the Board of Directors. If the Board of Directors approves the changes, the Constitution shall be submitted to the membership at large. The general membership may amend the Constitution: (1) at the annual conference by a majority vote of the members present; or (2) by a mail vote of two-thirds of the members who reply, or (3) by an online vote of two-thirds of the members who reply, provided in each case, that notice has been given one month in advance of the voting.
ARTICLE XI ASSETS
No part of the net income, revenue, and grants of Utah ASCD shall inure to the benefit of any member, officer, or any private individual, except that reasonable compensation may be paid for services rendered in connection with one or more of Utah ASCD’s purposes, and no member, officer, or any private individual shall be entitled to share in the distribution of any part of the assets of the Affiliate, after payment of debts and obligations, shall be referred to an organization with federal tax exemption for charitable and educational uses and purposes.
ARTICLE XII MEMBERSHIP DUES
The annual dues for regular and student memberships in the Affiliate shall be determined by a two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors upon recommendation of the President.
ARTICLE XIII MEETINGS
Utah ASCD shall schedule an annual conference, a minimum of quarterly Board meetings and other meetings as deemed necessary by the President and the Board of Directors.
There shall be a general membership/business meeting at each annual conference for the purpose of approving the annual budget, making reports, adopting resolutions, transacting business, providing a forum for general membership to express concerns, and for other purposes as deemed necessary by the President and Board of Directors.
A quorum shall consist of all those in attendance who are members of Utah ASCD. Approval of actions will occur with a majority of the quorum voting for approval.
The annual conference shall be conducted by the President.
ARTICLE XIV ELECTIONS
The Executive Board shall appoint a Nominating Committee who shall elicit nominations from the active membership.
The President-Elect shall be elected by the members of Utah ASCD as follows:
The President-Elect shall submit the names of new Board members with their responsibilities for the upcoming year to the Board of Directors. The President shall provide guidance and assistance in the development of committee assignments.
ARTICLE XV PUBLICATIONS
Utah ASCD will publish a quarterly newsletter, and other publications as deemed appropriate as directed by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE XVI EXPENDITURES
The funds of Utah ASCD shall be disbursed in accordance with the annual budget as approved by the Board of Directors. The transfer of funds within the budget shall be at the discretion of the Board of Directors, which shall be responsible for proper auditing of accounts.
ARTICLE XVII PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURES
Robert’s Rules of Order, Revised, shall be the authority governing all procedures not otherwise specified in the Constitution.